Sunday, January 10, 2010

57th Sawai: Raja Miya (vocal)

Main Artist: Gulam Hussain Khan aka Raja Miya (vocal)
Sangat:
Tabla: Ramdas Palsule
Tanpura: Rajashri Mahajani and Mukul Kulkarni

Raja Miya started his performance with raga Purva (nom-tom alap, khyal
in vilambit Ektal - mana ke lo, bandish in Teental - saware suman). He
sang Barwa (bandish in Teental - prem baje mori payaliya). Barwa was
followed by a Khamaj thumri - maika nindiya na jagao gali dungi.

Raja Miya has a powerful voice and he sings in a full throated nasal
tone characterised by Agra gharana. The nom-tom was short and sweet.
The raga-vistar in the khyal appeard a bit hurried to me. However I
really enjoyed the full throated aakar taans. They were well planned
and well executed.

I am not used to listening to Agra singers but while I found some
parts of the performance fantastic - especially taans, some
school-boyish (singing of the bandish text and raga vistaar), some out
of tune in a peculiar way on the sharper side and some outright funny
(his body language - I had to work hard not to laugh at times).

I found the Barwa presentation a bit more consistently enjoyable as a
package. I also enjoyed the thumri.

I felt that the local sangatkars were also having a bit of difficulty
adjusting to a different style.

Overall the performance was a mixed bag for me.

- Bansuriwala

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment