Thursday, January 7, 2010

57th Sawai: Tarun Bhattacharya (Santoor)

Main artist: Trun Bhattachrya
Tabla: Abhijeet Banerjee

Tarunji started his performance with raga Rageshree in which he played
alaap, jod, jhala followed by gats in madhyalaya Jhaptal and drut
Teentaal.

After Rageshree Tarunji played a Bhatiyali dhun.

In addition to striking the strings by the kalams Tarunji uses many
different ways (plucking, pulling/pushing strings by hand etc.) to
produce sound. This produces sounds of very different tonal quality
and unfortumately the performance sounds very inconsistent as well as
noisy. This also disturbs the tuning a lot (which unfortunately did
not get corrected in a timely manner).

The drut gat and jugalbandi/sawal jawab with tabla sounded even
noisier and out of tune to me. But it got a lot of applause and even a
once more!!

May be there is something wrong with my ears.

- Bansuriwala

--
Sent from my mobile device

2 comments:

  1. "May be there is something wrong with my ears."

    Replace "my" with "our", and you have exactly what my sister and I said to each other when we heard the loud applause for this performance! The only bearable part of the performance was the very short Bhatiyali dhun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't attend this concert. But I totally agree that his playing is noisy. He almost butchers the instrument with his techniques. A far cry from Shivji's heavenly music.

    ReplyDelete